Thursday, June 21, 2012

Very Hungry Caterpillar 1st Birthday

Getting crafty for my son's big day.  So far I've made very inexpensive party hats, a paper caterpillar display, and did the invites.

Party Hats
Materials: Regular Cheap Party Hats (any style or theme), Colored Felt, Hot Glue, Pom Poms

Found some regular cheap party hats on clearance for less than a dollar. Purchased different color felt (25cents a piece or less).  And a bag of PomPoms (2.99 minus a coupon). 


Step 1: Unroll one of the party hats and use it as a pattern to trace out on  your felt.
Step 2: Cut the felt (following the lines you traced of course)
Step 3: Glue (I used some spray glue as well as the hot glue, but all you really need is hot glue
Step 4: Glue a Pom Pom on top


Caterpillar
Materials: green circular tissue paper decorations and one red one(chinese lanterns would also work), purple, yellow, green felt scraps, popsicle sticks (I used bamboo skewers), hot glue


Step 1: Cut out eyes, ears, and nose
Step 2: Glue skewers or popsicle sticks to purple ears (I put felt over the back of the skewer as well so it still looks pretty from behind. Glue yellow and green eye pieces together.  Glue all your pieces to the red head.
Step 3: Hang them up in a row

Invitations
I bought the invitations on clearance last year (I'm embarrassed to say i bought them before my son was even born).  But you could always make some on the computer or buy some of Etsy I'm sure.  I used different colored Flair Pens to address them.  Made the invitee's name look like a caterpillar complete with purple ears and then addressed in all different colors.




1 comment: